Subject: Questionnaire on architectural plans

Questionnaire on architectural plans

From: Melanie Anderseck <m.anderseck>
Date: Wednesday, May 2, 2007
    author.

Within the framework of my thesis for a degree at the University of
Applied Sciences in Cologne, Germany, in the Cologne Institute for
Conservation Science, I am working with architectural plans at the
municipal archive of the town of Neuss in Germany. For this reason I
would like to conduct a survey about restoration and conservation of
collections of plans. Inspection of the Archive in Neuss showed that
most of the plans are tracings on transparent paper. Others are
reproductions consisting mainly of diazotype prints and blueprints.
I am interested in the treatment and storage of plans in your
institution.

I would be grateful to you if you would fill in the form and send it
by e-mail to m.anderseck [at] gmx__de This would be of great help to me
and I thank you in advance.

    Institution (optional--you may answer anonymously):

    1.  Are collections of architectural and technical plans treated
        with mass deacidification?

            yes
            no
            mass deacidification is intended

            If yes, by which procedure? further information:

    2.  Form of storage?
            flat
            rolled
            folded

            further information:

    3.  Is the storage of originals (tracings) segregated from the
        storage of copies (reproductions or duplicates)?

            yes
            no

            further information:

    4.  If the plans (originals and copies) are stored together, are
        they separated physically from each other with sheets of
        paper or other material?: no segregation of individual plans
        among themselves, originals and reproductions are stored
        together

            pH neutral material (paper) is used
            buffered material (paper) is used
            Silversafe paper is used
            sheets of plastic are used

            further information:

    5.  Are there collections of architectural plans which remain
        untreated?:

            yes
            no

            further information:

    6.  Restoration treatment (single sheet):

            dry cleaning
            flattened / rolling out
            flattened with heat
            flattened  with the use of a climate chamber
            Watering bath, sizing, buffering
            tears closed with japanese paper
            with plant-based adhesives
            with synthetic adhesives
            self adhesive tape

            further information:

    7.  Are there difficulties in identifying the various forms of
        reproductions/ is retraining needed?:

            yes
            unsure
            no

            further information:

    8.  Would you be interested in obtaining a digital copy of my
        forthcoming thesis "Conservation concept for diazotype
        prints"?:

            yes
            no

Melanie Anderseck
Fachhochschule Koln
Cologne University of Applied Sciences,
Institut fur Restaurierungs- und Konservierungswissenschaften
Studienrichtung Schriftgut, Graphik und Buchmalerei
Ubierring 40
50678 Koln

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 10, 2007