Subject: Venetian glass seed beads

Venetian glass seed beads

From: Virginia J. Whelan <vjwhelan>
Date: Monday, April 30, 2007
I am searching for a source of Venetian glass seed beads to
compensate for areas of loss in a 17th century English lidded box
(aka casket, cabinet). The replacement beads will be 'marked' as
non-original by the modern material (polyester filament)  threaded
through them before application and/or a barrier layer of tinted
Japanese paper beneath.

Any suggestions of sources of old beads or a glass worker/ bead
maker who could custom-make new beads for the project would be
appreciated.

1.5mm diameter (15/0 ) in solid, opaque colors, rounded edges.
Limited quantities of up to 150 each of  8-10 colors needed. A
sample of every color is available for those viable leads.

My internet searches, queries to many antique dealers and several
glass makers, visits to many beading stores have not been fruitful.

Virginia J. Whelan
Textile Conservator
Filaments Conservation Studio
Merion Station, Pennsylvania 19066 USA