Subject: Theft and vandalism

Theft and vandalism

From: Anna Buelow <anna.buelow>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2007
At The National Archives (UK), we are currently carrying out a
preservation risk assessment according to the method developed by
Rob Waller. We are considering all risks over a 100 year span. I
would appreciate if Cons DistList participants would share their
experience with

    *   major thefts (professional heist), causing either damage to
        the material/object or resulting in its complete loss, and

    *   major incidents with vandalism

Have you ever experienced any? If so, how many and over which period
of time? How many objects were affected? We realise that museums
might be more likely to suffer from this. We would be particularly
interested to hear from any archive or library who has experienced
major incidents of this sort as we are hoping to estimate this risk
to our own collection.

Dr Anna E Bulow
Head of Preservation
The National Archives