Subject: Artsorb

Artsorb

From: Gali Beiner <gali.beiner>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2007
In one of our display cases we keep several trays containing Artsorb
as a buffer for maintaining a RH level around 50% as stable as
possible. The trays have been in the case for the last 5 years. They
are made of metal (aluminium, as far as I can tell) and the Artsorb
in them is the white bead type. When checked recently for refreshing
the buffer material, I found that all trays had a considerable layer
of Artsorb stuck at the bottom--stuck so hard that it was
practically impossible to scrape off without very great effort.

As far as I know, Artsorb is a silica gel. It apparently contains
lithium chloride, so it may be corrosive to metal. Does that explain
why it got stuck to our aluminium trays? Has anyone else had a
similar experience with Artsorb getting stuck?

Gali Beiner
Conservator, Pitt Rivers Museum
South Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3PP