Subject: Soluble nylon

Soluble nylon

From: Soren Ibsen <soren.ibsen>
Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Kathleen Magill <tcrnkma [at] ucl__ac__uk> writes

>For my dissertation, I'm interested in assessing and re-evaluating
>soluble nylon as a consolidant for vegetable fibres, with a focus on
>objects made with raffia elements. Has anyone had experience with
>application of this consolidant, particularly on plant fibres?  If
>so, how do evaluate the result? Did it age well? Has it remained
>flexible/colourless, etc? Have you noticed any changes through time?

I have used soluble nylon on very deteriorated paper some 25 years
ago. Later it was reported  that soluble nylon could not be removed.
It had also in some cases become sticky and grimy.  I stop using it.
The papers I have consolidated with 2% soluble nylon in warm
methanol are still very flexible with no changes in color.  Never
use soluble nylon on acid surfaces.  The objects must be deacidified
before treatment, and it is probably not possible to remove the
soluble nylon again.

Soren Ibsen
University Library of Trondheim

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 10, 2007