Subject: Ultrasonic and pneumatic nebulizers for mist consolidation

Ultrasonic and pneumatic nebulizers for mist consolidation

From: Julie Dennin Ream <julieream>
Date: Friday, May 4, 2007
From time to time I am asked to advise colleagues on the purchase of
equipment for use in mist consolidation projects.  I personally own
two small nebulizer set-ups--one generates the mist pneumatically
and one by ultrasonic means. The former is a portable medical
compressor that I use with disposable pneumatic nebulizers.  It
works well for large scale projects where the stronger air flow is
not a problem.  The latter is a newer (very small) table-top
ultrasonic that I purchased quite inexpensively and that I like for
more delicate surfaces.

In teaching I have demonstrated these as well as retro-fitted
ultrasonic humidifiers, the pricier DeVilbiss Ultra-Neb, and
disposable pneumatics hooked up to aquarium pumps.  I have never had
the pleasure of trying the Becker Preservotec Aerosol Generator.  I
believe it is the most expensive option, but also the only one
designed specifically for conservation.  I would be interested in a
dialogue surrounding the equipment conservators have chosen and how
it has impacted their experiences in treatment. There are more and
more devices on the medical market now--are the more expensive ones
really worth it?  Please respond to the list.

    **** Moderator's comments: Thank you Julie for this reminder. I
    want to stress that it is intended that your responses normally
    *should* indeed be sent to the DistList rather than replying
    privately to the author.  Naturally there may be cases where
    this is inappropriate (and sometimes I explicitly instruct you
    to reply to the author) but in general this is meant to be a
    *public* discussion. If you look in the DistList archives in
    CoOL
      <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl>
    you'll find that there are usually  lot's of questions and very
    few answers, not at all a good situation.

Julie Ream
Paper Conservator in Private Practice
402 Lenape Trail
Wenonah, NJ 08090