Subject: Private practice in institutional lab

Private practice in institutional lab

From: John Burke <jb>
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2007
I'm curious to hear (either via the DistList or personally) about
any museum conservation labs that previously earned revenue via
private contact work, but decided to transition back to a focus
solely on the institution's collections.  There are several good
examples here in the Bay Area (a list we are soon planning to join),
but there must be other examples as well.  My interest is how their
rationale played against the financial impact of that shift on other
institutional programs.

(and please, let's not get into polemics against such practices, nor
a debate on the private/museum relationship: my question is simply
an attempt at informing trustees.)

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 28, 2007