Subject: Odour removal

Odour removal

From: Melissa Gunter <mgunter>
Date: Friday, April 13, 2007
We have recently acquired three historically significant objects
(two dog collars and one harness) that are required for display in
July this year. All three objects emit incredibly strong and
offensive odours. We are concerned about enclosing the objects
inside a display case, especially with other historically
significant objects, due to the build up of possibly damaging gasses
as well as the unpleasantness of reopening the case when necessary.

The two dog collars are composed of stitched leather and undyed wool
felt with copper studs, possibly nickel plated iron buckles and
aluminium name plates.  The harness is composed of white, thick,
possibly cotton webbing with black thread stitching; a nickel plated
iron loop; pale green nylon rope; and thinner cotton webbing with
pink, yellow and grey bands with blue and black felt tip pen
markings. These markings are historically significant.

We need advice on how the odour can be removed from these objects
without wet cleaning. Any suggestions or comments on past
experiences of removing odours from cotton, leather and wool felt
would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa Gunter
Conservation
Museum Victoria