Subject: Display cases

Display cases

From: Jodie Lee Utter <jodie.utter>
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2007
Currently our museum is experiencing various stages of fogging on
the inside glass of our 2-6 year-old freestanding display cases. We
are using Glasbau Hahn manufactured casework and displaying mostly
bronze sculpture, but also have found fogging within casework of
non-metal sculpture. We have used effective solutions for cleaning,
but find the fogging to return within a few months each time. We
have experienced the problem within cases containing fabric covered
metal display platforms, as well as fabric and painted platforms.
Our problem exists in 2-year old cases as well as 6 year old cases.
Before we travel down the road of further testing and elimination of
suspect variables, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar
experience and has either further tested or found suitable solution.

Jodie Lee Utter
Conservator of Works on Paper
Amon Carter Museum
3501 Camp Bowie Blvd.