Subject: Nylon welding powder

Nylon welding powder

From: Robert Proctor <rproctor2>
Date: Saturday, April 14, 2007
There seems to be a resurgence in popularity of the use of nylon
welding powder among American painting conservators. I have long
been under the impression that it had been determined to have poor
aging properties, yet I am unaware of any published material
regarding testing or prediction of the stability of this material.
Does anyone know of any studies or have reliable anecdotal evidence
related to this material? Also, does anyone know if there is any
relation between "nylon welding powder" and "soluble nylon"?

Robert Proctor
Whitten and Proctor Fine Art Conservation
Houston, TX

                  Distributed: Monday, April 16, 2007