Subject: Soluble nylon

Soluble nylon

From: Kathleen Magill <tcrnkma>
Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I am a student at the Institute of Archaeology, University College
London, currently completing my first year of the MSc in
Conservation for Archaeology and Museums.

For my dissertation, I'm interested in assessing and re-evaluating
soluble nylon as a consolidant for vegetable fibres, with a focus on
objects made with raffia elements. Has anyone had experience with
application of this consolidant, particularly on plant fibres?  If
so, how do evaluate the result? Did it age well? Has it remained
flexible/colourless, etc? Have you noticed any changes through time?

All comments and advice are extremely welcome, including
concentrations used, method of application and use of heat.

Kathleen Magill

                  Distributed: Monday, April 16, 2007