Subject: Isolating layer between watercolor and wood panel

Isolating layer between watercolor and wood panel

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Monday, April 16, 2007
Julie Dennin Ream <julieream [at] comcast__net> writes

>I have a small Arthur Hughes watercolor painting c.1867 on heavy
>paper wrapped around, but not adhered to, a solid wood panel 1/2
>inch thick.  I will likely remove the painting from the panel for
>treatment and I would like to isolate the wood panel to prevent
>off-gassing before remounting the painting. ...

Most painted-on films don't last very long, as they eventually can
crack from movement of the wood, and many off-gas.  We have used
sheets of mylar or Marvelseal.  The only problem is that they are
slippery, so they are a bit hard to handle.  They can be secured on
the reverse with double-faced tape.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West