Subject: Chinese dragons

Chinese dragons

From: Rebecca Leah Dallwitz <r.dallwitz>
Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2007
I am currently undertaking a study of Chinese dragons extant in
Melbourne, Australia, which originate from China.  The recently
constructed dragon I am focussing on is displayed in a museum during
the majority of the year, but also performs in street parades twice
annually.  A Chinese community association owns the dragon, and
organises its performance.  The study also looks at other dragons
held in the museum and at a local temple which are no longer
performed.  These dragons are from the mid- and early twentieth
century.

Is anyone aware of any (conservation or other) publications on the
making of dragons, or the history, nature and significance of their
performance?

Has anyone treated or advised on a Chinese dragon and so might be
able to share information about culturally sensitive storage,
display and repair? Or about the materials and construction of the
dragon?

Has anyone written a conservation protocol for the use of a Chinese
dragon or any other large-scale performing object (or group of
performing objects) that they can share with me?

Rebecca Dallwitz
University of Melbourne
MA student, Cultural Materials Conservation

                  Distributed: Friday, April 13, 2007