Subject: Adhesive and filler for alabaster

Adhesive and filler for alabaster

From: Robert K. MacDowell <macdowell_r>
Date: Monday, April 2, 2007
We have just received for possible conservation a few lamp parts
made of alabaster and would very much appreciate hearing from anyone
who has had experience in bonding and filling missing chips and
other pieces with regards to the adhesives they would choose and the
filler material.

We have in our lab various epoxy resins that we have used with
excellent results over the years on ceramic projects and also have
Epoxy Technology's 301 and 301-2. Also Elmer's glue, plaster of
Paris which we hardly ever have a use for and a white polyester
paste that becomes quite hard when it sets up.

I'm concerned about the hardness of all of the repair materials we
have in relation to the very soft nature of alabaster and the
problems that will likely arise in trying to shape any fills without
damaging the surrounding, soft, alabaster.

Robert K. MacDowell
MacDowell Restorations
39845 The Narrows Road
Waterford, Virginia 20197