Subject: Source for wool felt

Source for wool felt

From: Susan Lunas <bookbinder>
Date: Friday, March 23, 2007
Jodie Lee Utter <jodie.utter [at] cartermuseum__org> writes

>We are seeking a source for 100% wool non-woven felts. ...

I have a couple vendors/manufacturers in my file, though I have
never bought any felt from any of them.  These folks list their felt
as 100% wool, needled or pressure felted, undyed, and unbleached.

    Aetna Felt Corporation
    2401 W. Emaus Avenue
    Allentown, PA 18103

    Western Felt and Fiber
    323 Date Avenue
    Alhambra, California 91803

    Commonwealth felts
    136 West Street
    Northhampton, Massachusetts 01060

And here is another thought: what about checking with local wool
growers?  There is a local wool growers association in Oregon, and
some of them supply needle punched felt.  The sample I obtained is
fairly loosely felted, though the folks say that when the piece is
washed, the felt  mats together more tightly. The fiber is
unbleached and undyed. The cost is competitive with large
manufacturers.

Susan Lunas
Many Moons Book Conservation
Eugene, Oregon