Subject: Lighting

Lighting

From: Christine Cheffins <christinecheffins>
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2007
We have been using some low energy, long life, compact fluorescent
lamps in one of our museum's track lighting systems as an
alternative to tungsten spots which produce a lot of heat and need
frequent changing. These Osram lamps come with a housing which makes
them suitable for a track but do emit about 100 microwatts per lumen
UV light.  Another lamp in use, Sylvania dichroic 20W Halogen with
integrated "UV Stop", gave a reading of >50 microwatts per lumen on
our ancient Crawford UV monitor Type 760.  Does anyone know of
compact fluorescent lamp, screw fitting, with a UV filter and a
housing?  Rather than revert to tungsten we are prepared to make
filters for these lamps if there are none on the market.

Christine Cheffins
Paper Conservator
Chepstow Museum
Bridge Street