Subject: Intellectual property

Intellectual property

From: Mark Halvorsen <negativ9>
Date: Thursday, March 22, 2007
I have a question regarding Internet copyright restrictions.  I am
doing a live gallery show of local concert fliers from the 1980's,
and one local collector may opt not to share his work. I will have
an answer from him shortly, which may incidentally be in the form of
no reply whatsoever.

He does have local flier images on his website, however.  Is it a
violation of law to print them off his website and display these
reprints at my gallery show?

Note: I would not display any bands in which he was a member, or any
art he actually drew himself--only images contained on his website
organized for public viewing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  This is quite a conundrum
for a second year graduate student.

    **** Moderator's comments: While this might not seem to be a
    conservation question, it concerns a broader (and horribly
    complex) set of issues that recur in a number of areas in our
    field, for example,--in the context of reformatting--in library
    and archives conservation.

                   Distributed: Friday, April 6, 2007