Subject: Water purification

Water purification

From: Winston Atkins <winston.atkins>
Date: Monday, March 26, 2007
Water Filtration for Conservation Lab

Duke University Libraries is planning a new book and paper
conservation lab and one of the issues we need to address with our
architects is how to spec out the water filtration system. I'd
appreciate advice from you all regarding:

    *   merits of deionization vs reverse osmosis,

    *   volume (gals/minute) to request for a large washing sink

    *   degree of purity (see paragraph below--our architects'
        consultants tell us that getting 3 megohms resistance will
        be difficult; RO will give us 0.5 to 1.0 megohm resistance,
        putting in DI beds will give us up around 18 megohm)

    *   issues of cost (initial purchase and ongoing maintenance)

    *   ease of maintenance

I've scouted the Cons DistList for information and have a 1994
exchange, which includes a recommendation not to go for greater
purity than 3 megohms--too corrosive. I've also reviewed Season
Tse's CCI publication on water quality. Unhappily, it is not
prescriptive enough for me. So--I'm going public and would
appreciate any thoughts or guidance you all can provide.

Winston Atkins
Preservation Officer
Duke University Libraries
Campus Box 90189