Subject: Vikane

Vikane

From: Julia Dummer <j.dummer>
Date: Friday, March 16, 2007
We need to fumigate bigger parts of our collection with objects of
different kind of organic materials--wood, painted wood, textiles,
leather together with metal, for example. Our favourite technique is
to use nitrogen. But we do not have enough time to use the nitrogen
treatment for all objects.

We see cleaned sulfuryldifluoride (Vikane) as an alternative. The
question is, if anybody knows another alternative? Is there a
concrete risk that sulfuryldifluoride could harm the substance of
the objects in the shorter and longer term perspective. Is there an
risk and if so, under which conditions?

Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel
Dipl.-Rest. Julia Dummer
Postfach 410420