Subject: Metal polishes

Metal polishes

From: Dee Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee>
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Mary-Margaret Fincher<mary.fincher [at] gmail__com> writes

>    Hagerty's Preventive Silver Polish
>    Hagerty's Copper and Brass Polish
>    Twinkle Silver Polish
>    Twinkle Brass and Copper Polish
>    Silvo
>    Brasso
>    Precipitated chalk
>
>I'd like to get the thoughts/opinions of conservators on these
>products as well as silver/brass polishing in general. What I'd also
>like to know is if there are any other methods or products that
>conservators use for polishing shiny metals? What products were used
>in the past and if they are no longer used, why? And finally, are
>there any polishes/methods that are heavily debated in the
>conservation world regarding their appropriateness to use in
>conservation?

Over the last few years, I have sometimes used Birks' "Antitarnish
Silver Polishing Cloth". These are available from Birks' retail
jewelry stores across Canada for around $10 per package. According
to the directions on the package, "This Silver Polishing Cloth is
made of high quality cotton impregnated with a silver cleaner and
anti-tarnish agent. Use as an ordinary cloth on lightly tarnished
gold, silver, and silver plate to obtain a brilliant polish with a
long lasting protection against tarnish. The cloth remains effective
as long as it is not washed and should be stored in the box after
use."

I particularly like the fact that there is no liquid involved that
would have to be cleaned out of the recessed areas and etched
decoration after polishing, and I have had good results with the
product with no apparent ill effects over time. I do wonder what the
mysterious "anti-tarnish agent" is, and if other conservators on the
list may have further information on that?

Mary, it would be great if you would share the findings of your
research in a future posting on the list.

Dee Stubbs-Lee
Conservator,
The New Brunswick Museum
277 Douglas Avenue