Subject: Translation sought

Translation sought

From: Said Abd El Hamed Hassan <saiedhamed>
Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Jack C. Thompson <tcl [at] teleport__com> writes

>Claire Daly <claire_daly [at] birmingham__gov__uk> writes
>
>>I am researching French gilding in the 18th century and I wonder if
>>there is an English version of Jean-Felix Watin's L'Art du Peintre,
>>Doreur, et Vernisseur  (The Art of the Painter, Gilder and
>>Varnisher) and if so, please could you tell me where I can obtain a
>>copy?
>
>I'm not certain if this will help, but I have a copy of The Painter,
>Gilder, and Varnisher's Companion, published by Henry Carey Baird
>and Co., Philadelphia, 1869 (my copy, 16th ed., 1889).

Some useful books about gilding

I hope that some of these books will be helpful Jack, you can find
them at GCI library under the special collection:

   The carver & gilder
   London: Houlston and Stoneman, 65 Paternsoter Row. 1840

   Hints on illuminating with an essay on the art of ornamenting in
   gold or metals: Henry Montanell, 7th ed. 1870

   Artist's assistant, or school of science: Mary Vnett,London 1807

   Designs for carving and gilding, used an interior decoration and
   furniture: King,T.,London 1911

   The school of useful art containing upwords of 300 receipts in
   gilding and Miscellanies,London 1889.

Said Hassan
Conservator of Icons and Paintings SCA / Egypt
Fulbright Scholar UCLA/ GETTY conservation program

                  Distributed: Friday, March 16, 2007