Subject: Translation sought

Translation sought

From: Sandrine Decoux <sandrine.decoux>
Date: Monday, March 12, 2007
Claire Daly <claire_daly [at] birmingham__gov__uk> writes

>I am researching French gilding in the 18th century and I wonder if
>there is an English version of Jean-Felix Watin's L'Art du Peintre,
>Doreur, et Vernisseur  (The Art of the Painter, Gilder and
>Varnisher) and if so, please could you tell me where I can obtain a
>copy?

I haven't found a reference to a direct translation of Watin's book,
but Pierre-Francois Tingry's 1803 'Traite theorique et pratique sur
l'art de faire et d'appliquer les vernis' (Geneva) is apparently
based on and incorporates Watin's book.

It was published in English in 1804 as 'The Painter and Varnisher's
Guide' (London) and in 1831 as 'The Painter's and Colourmen's
Complete Guide' (Philadelphia: Carey and Hart).

Sandrine Decoux
Conservation and Collection Care Service
Oxford University Library Services
Oxford, UK

                  Distributed: Friday, March 16, 2007