Subject: Book lice

Book lice

From: Rachael Arenstein <rachaelarenstein>
Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Gretchen Voeks <gretchen_voeks [at] nps__gov> writes

>I am aware that book lice feed on mold but am wondering what
>potential risks they pose to collections?  Besides providing food
>for other pests, will book lice damage collections? Information on
>this issue, and any safe methods (other than freezing or lowering
>RH) of controlling these insects would be appreciated.

I believe that booklice are in fact more than just a nuisance and an
indicator of high humidity collections.  They can eventually eat
away at bindings and paper edges as they seek out starch products
for food.

You can also post your question to the PestList which is meant for
queries just like this.  Information on how to sign up for the
listserv is available on <URL:http://www.museumpests.net>.
Additionally there may be other information on the website that will
be useful to you.  There is a good bibliography and links to other
pest related web resources.  The website is a product of the
Integrated Pest Management Working Group.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
Conservator in Private Practice

                  Distributed: Friday, March 16, 2007