Subject: Silicone mannequins

Silicone mannequins

From: Sarah Clayton <sarah.clayton>
Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2007
The Australian War Memorial is considering using silicone heads and
hands attached to Ethafoam mannequins to display uniforms, inside
showcases.  Has anybody had experience with displaying textiles on
silicon based mannequins long term, i.e. 10 years or more? The
silicon being used is a condensation cure silicon, which potentially
off gases water, ethanol or hydrochloric acid. I am of course
concerned about the hydrochloric acid, and an also concerned about
the painted surface, which is a combination of roofing silicone and
oil paints. Can anybody tell me if there are effects on the curing
of the oil paint or silicone when the two are combined?

Sarah Clayton
Senior Textile Conservator
Australian War Memorial
PO Box 345