Subject: Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus

From: Nicholas Arkady Selenitscu <nase>
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2007
I am conducting a survey of a collection where there are court
ledgers bound with masonite/hardboard. From some initial research, I
have found that hardboard manufacture here in Australia has
predominantly used eucalyptus wood, so it's fairly safe to assume
that the paper documents are bound in heat-pressed eucalyptus. I
can't find conservation-related literature on eucalyptus. Apart from
the obvious high-acidity of the wood, are there any other factors
such as offgassing that I should be concerned about? In other words,
is there an urgent need to rebind these volumes?

Nick Selenitsch
Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation
University of Melbourne
Melbourne Australia

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 6, 2007