Subject: Book supports

Book supports

From: Peter Verheyen <pdverhey>
Date: Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Many years ago we ordered several sets of the foam "book rests"
developed by Christopher Clarkson to use in our special collections
reading room. Some of those are now looking very worn and we are
seeking to replace them. A search of the DistList archives showed
that there was apparently only one vendor:

    United Foam Plastics Corporation
    2175 Partin Settlement Road
    Kissimmee, FL 34744-8697
    407-933-4880
    <URL:http://www.ufpt.com/plant_locations.asp?SID=90>

They have no product information online, and judging by the rest of
their product line this is clearly a side-line. Their prices are
actually fairly reasonable considering what is included in each set
(base wedge, blunt wedges, spine support, rectangular pads, lead
snakes), $74.50 for 11 x 16 inches.

That said, does anyone know of any other vendors with comparable
products, perhaps already covered with fabric, or of an entirely
different material? I realize that we could make our own, but that
also has costs attached.

Peter D. Verheyen
Preservation and Digital Access Librarian
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 6, 2007