Subject: Object display drawers

Object display drawers

From: Susanna Pancaldo <sqp1856>
Date: Thursday, February 22, 2007
I am investigating the use of "visible storage" drawers for
displaying relatively robust archaeological objects in the Petrie
Museum collections. I would appreciate hearing from others whom have
been in involved with designing, installing and/or evaluating
display drawers and could share good and bad experiences as well as
lessons learned about, for instance:

    What types of objects have withstood opening/closing actions

    What methods have been devised for mounting objects in the
    drawers

    How accessible are the objects if they need to be retrieved,
    i.e. for research, treatment, etc

    Have environmental modifiers and/or monitoring systems been
    incorporated in the drawers

    Have the drawer opening and closing mechanisms performed well
    and have they required maintenance etc.?

Susanna Pancaldo
Conservation Project Manager
Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology
University College London