Subject: Offgassing from natural history specimens

Offgassing from natural history specimens

From: Melissa Gunter <mgunter>
Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2007
I am a conservator currently researching whether or not formaldehyde
will off-gas from freeze dried natural science specimens that have
been injected with formalin before freezing. I am interested in
measuring gaseous build up in enclosed spaces as well as checking if
heat will contribute to or drive the off-gassing. I plan to run some
tests with passive and active samplers in both ambient and heated
environments and I wondered if anyone else has done any testing like
this. Any information, references, comments or advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Melissa Gunter
Conservation Intern
Conservation