Subject: Reproducing niello

Reproducing niello

From: Jean D. Portell <jeandp>
Date: Sunday, February 18, 2007
Renita Ryan <ryan.renita [at] saugov__sa__gov__au> writes

>Does anyone have experience in reproducing niello on a silver item
>that has been stripped back to silver metal?

Without knowing more about the silver item that Renita Ryan
mentioned, it is impossible to offer specific advice. Instead, I
suggest doing a "niello" search on AATA
<URL:http://aata.getty.edu/nps/>. Today such a search yielded 61
hits. The information in some of those references (even in some of
their abstracts) might be pertinent.

Conservators can search for free the Online AATA. (Its predecessor,
Art and Archaeological Technical Abstracts, was published as chunky
paper volumes. Those abstracts are now available online, with new
abstracts being added as volunteers provide them.) All that's
necessary to do, to access this wonderful bibliographic database, is
to register as a user. People who value the Online AATA can improve
it by contributing new abstracts. I hope the Online AATA will always
be available, and as comprehensive as possible. If we lacked this
easy way to find out what colleagues and other experts have
published on technical matters relevant to our field, a lot of us
might waste time 'reinventing the wheel.'

Jean D. Portell
13 Garden Place
Brooklyn, New York 11201

                Distributed: Thursday, February 22, 2007