Subject: Casein paint on wood

Casein paint on wood

From: Jane Foley <jfcfoley>
Date: Thursday, February 8, 2007
Galeazzi Prune <galeazziprune [at] yahoo__fr> writes

>I am leading a research project on the preservation-restoration of a
>casein paint layer, on wood, which requires a cleaning and exhibits
>cleavage. If such a case was treated, maybe could you steer me in
>the choice of materials (solvents, adhesives) and how to determine
>its flatness?

Wishab (vulcanised latex) soft version is what I would use. It has
amazing results but its use depends on having a stable not friable
painted surface, the latter requiring preconsolidation.

Jane Foley, Dip Cons(Hons) GCGI
Sculpture and Objects
Litas Liparini Restoration Studio
823 Main St Evanston Il 60202

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 14, 2007