Subject: Source for paper sought

Source for paper sought

From: Mark Hingley <mark.hingley1>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2007
Robyn Waymouth <robyn.waymouth [at] rwh__org__au> writes

>I wonder if an Australian conservator could advise me on which of
>the proprietary photocopy papers is truly "archival". ...

The National Archives of Australia has an Archival Quality Logo
scheme and information on numerous products is available on its
website, including some supply contacts. They also publish the
results of Photographic Activity Tests (PAT); the product you
mention is listed. It might be worth approaching your State Archives
too.

I am not an Australian conservator, but for many years, when
'Archival' photocopy paper was yet unknown, I still used archival
paper for exhibition and box labels and storage purposes. It was
(and still is) a buffered, slightly off-white paper. This was
supplied in large sheets and would have to be guillotined accurately
to the dimensions required.  Neither the lighter nor the heavier
weights had any observable mechanical incompatibility with the dry
powder printers or photocopiers then used, and produced good
results. It would however, be wise to read the small print,
especially when leasing a photocopier and/or printer, assess the
risk and proceed with caution.

>From the permanence point of view, the ink is important too. As far
as I have determined, black dry powder toner consists mainly of
styrene as the carrier/medium/fixative and either iron oxide or
carbon as the pigment. I do not know of 'archival' toners, but they
might exist.

Mark Hingley
Development Conservator
United Kingdom

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 7, 2007