Subject: Pond

Pond

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner>
Date: Sunday, January 28, 2007
Carol Brynjolfson <carolb [at] vanmuseum__bc__ca> writes

>I have been asked by our designer and display staff about the
>feasibility of incorporating a pond within an upcoming exhibit of
>mixed artefacts. ...

The building's HVAC system is designed to cope with crowds of
people. Each visitor or staff member is already a fairly efficient
generator of heat and water, so that I don't think you will find
that evaporation from a small pond will raise room humidity
(although a slight very local increase may be found). Unless you
have a substantial air flow over the pond's surface, and very dry
conditions, your evaporation should be minimal. Check with your
facilities staff on this point.

My limited experience--with goldfish (carp) in an outdoor pond--was
that given minimal water circulation (from a very small pump), the
addition of the right kinds of symbiotic plants and snails, and the
correct amount of light and food, the pond remained quite clean and
essentially maintained itself. And the calming effect was wonderful!

Light reflecting off the surface of the pond should not be a
problem, unless you already have difficulty controlling your
lighting. Your existing HVAC and lighting systems should be adequate
to control the addition of a pond--your big concern will be likely
be children and fools.

Jerry Shiner
Microclimate Technologies International / Keepsafe Systems

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 7, 2007