Subject: Dyeing alum tawed skin

Dyeing alum tawed skin

From: Irina Gorstein <igorstei>
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Heather Marshall <heatherx.marshall [at] bl__uk> writes

>I am currently planning a series of experiments to investigate the
>best ways to dye white alum tawed leather.

There are many historic ways of dyeing white alum tawed skins. I,
however, am very pleased with dyes from:

    The Leather Conservation Centre
    Nene College Campus
    Boughton Green Road
    Northampton NN2 7AN, UK

Very precise and easy to use dyes. They provide the instructions on
how to use them.

Irina Gorstein
Conservator
Frances Loeb Library