Subject: Shellac on ceramics

Shellac on ceramics

From: Marie Svoboda <msvoboda>
Date: Monday, January 22, 2007
We are currently investigating the staining of ceramics caused by
shellac; more specifically the purple/red discoloration that occurs
when reversing old, unrefined shellac (caused by the presence of lac
dye in the shellac) with solvent mixtures. We are hoping to hear
from anyone who has observed this phenomena and if so, under what
conditions they occurred and what, if anything, was done to
remove/reduce the staining.

This study is a collaborative project between the Los Angeles County
Museum of Art and the J. Paul Getty Museum in an effort to
understand and treat the problem of lac dye staining on ceramics and
will be published.  Please reply directly to

    Marie Svoboda <msvoboda [at] getty__edu>
    Charlotte Eng <ceng [at] lacma__org>

Marie Svoboda
Associate Conservator
Antiquities Conservation