Subject: Pond

Pond

From: Carol Brynjolfson <carolb>
Date: Thursday, January 18, 2007
I have been asked by our designer and display staff about the
feasibility of incorporating a pond within an upcoming exhibit of
mixed artefacts.  The pond would surround 2 large porcelain
figurines of fishermen and would use one of the commercially
available garden-type ponds, built into a fake soil surround.  The
problems that I have identified thus far include raised humidity in
the nearby environment, maintenance of water quality with/without
algaecides or other additives, off-gassing of any additives used in
the water, filling and draining of the pond, and splashing of water
by visitors.  I have lone a little research into various algaecides,
but not yet on their effects on artefacts.

The designer is also interested in the moving reflections that
lights will cause when bouncing off the water, so there may be some
mechanism to keep the water moving, such as an underwater pump; I do
not know whether this will increase the VOCs.  The flickering light
could be another problem with nearby prints, etc.

As a second option, they would like to consider the use of fish
(carp) within the pond and all of the extra ramifications that that
causes!

Has anyone had experiences with ponds (and fish) in indoor displays?
Both negative and positive experiences and any other advice would be
welcomed.

Carol Brynjolfson
Conservator
Vancouver Museum