Subject: Dyeing alum tawed skin

Dyeing alum tawed skin

From: Heather Marshall <heatherx.marshall>
Date: Friday, January 12, 2007
I am currently planning a series of experiments to investigate the
best ways to dye white alum tawed leather.  I will be using natural
and synthetic dyes, investigating methods of applying the dye and
methods of leather preparation.  I am interested in knowing more
about other conservators experiences of dyeing alum tawed leather.
Have you found any examples of historical bindings covered with dyed
alum tawed leather?

Heather Marshall
Book Conservator
The British Library