Subject: Displaying tapestries

Displaying tapestries

From: Silvia Gonzales <silvia.gonzales>
Date: Thursday, December 21, 2006
I have a contemporary tapestry that is going to be on long-term
display (10 years). The tapestry has a cotton backing with Velcro,
which I am using to hang it to the wall. I am concerned about
hanging it directly on the wall so I would like to use a different
system.

I have found two options. The first one would be to mount it to a
bigger plywood sheet that would be covered with marvelseal and a
cotton fabric. The tapestry would be then mounted to the covered
wood with Velcro. The second option would be to stretch a cotton
fabric (canvas) on a stretcher and then mount the tapestry to the
canvas with Velcro and/or stitching.

Which one would be a better option for conservation purposes? The
tapestry is in a very good condition, and is around 48 inches wide
by 76 inches high.

Silvia N Gonzales
Utah Museum of Fine Arts
410 Campus Center Drive