Subject: Conference on theatre and painting

Conference on theatre and painting

From: Christine Sitwell <christine.sitwell>
Date: Friday, January 5, 2007
Setting the Scene: Traditional Paint Forum Conference
Normansfield Theatre
Teddington, London, England
March 23, 2007
9:30am - 5:30pm

There has been a long and close association between the Theatre and
paint, covering not only the decoration and embellishment of these
grand 'palaces of dreams', but also the skillful use of paint in
creating illusions with stage sets, scenery and even grease paint.
This conference will look at many of these aspects, with papers from
some of the leading practitioners of scene painting describing the
materials and techniques traditionally used for centuries, but which
are now in danger of being lost through dramatic technical changes
that are taking place.

The Conference will also look at recent work carried out in theatres
and other similar buildings, showing the changes in style and
materials used over the years, paint analysis investigation,
conservation considerations  and  the challenges of having to work
with modern materials and regulations. Case studies include
buildings as diverse as the Globe Theatre, The Royal Festival Hall,
1920 Art Deco Cinemas and the Normansfield Theatre where we hope to
have the opportunity to see the original stage machinery.

Conference fees: Fees include morning coffee, lunch and afternoon
tea on Friday

    TPF Members:                    UKP75
    Non Members:                    UKP90
    Students*:                      UKP45
    Saturday Tour (no catering):    UKP25

For Saturday 24 March 2007 we are organising a private walking tour
"behind the scenes" at The Globe, Wilton's Music Hall and the Drury
Lane Paint Frame. This will start at 10am at the Globe and last till
about 3pm. We are limited to 40 places so please book early for this
unique opportunity to see a listed paint shop that is still in use.

For booking form, contact

    Christine Sitwell
    Conservation Directorate
    National Trust, England
    Heelis
    Kemble Drive
    Swindon
    Wiltshire SN2 2NA
    +44 1793 817766
    christine.sitwell [at] nationaltrust__org__uk

                 Distributed: Saturday, January 6, 2007