Subject: Supports for large paintings

Supports for large paintings

From: Catherine Myers <csmyersc2>
Date: Monday, December 18, 2000
I would appreciate hearing ideas about new supports for large mural
paintings, or plaster panels. I am working on two large (10 X 7
foot) fragile plaster of Paris bas reliefs.   I need to apply a new
light-weight, rigid support which will be sufficiently support the
thin, cracked plaster. I would prefer that the support be keyed into
a new modified plaster, which will be added to the back, than
attached strictly with an adhesive. I have considered using a type
of honeycomb panel or a combination of layers which would include a
light weight composite board.

Cassie Myers
Myers Conservation
Washington, DC

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 20, 2000