Subject: Wood borer infestation In situ fumigation

Wood borer infestation In situ fumigation

From: Arlen Heginbotham <aheginbotham>
Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2000
Dee Stubbs <a5a24354 [at] telus__net> writes

>Has anyone had recent experience with eradicating a wood borer
>infestation in a large painted wooden artifact?

Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] idt__net> writes

>... Does anyone have any experience with in situ
>"fumigation" with either oxygen scavengers or inert gases (or, I
>suppose anything else) indicating their relative efficacy, safety,
>cost, and effort?

With regard to both of these questions, I'd highly recommend reading
an article by Gordon Hanlon and Vinod Daniel entitled: Modified
Atmosphere Treatments of Insect Infestations.  It is in "The
Structural Conservation of Panel Paintings: Proceedings of a
Symposium at the J. Paul Getty Museum". Getty Conservation
Institute. 1998.

This article discusses a few practical options and includes a
supplier list and an excellent bibliography.  Should put you on the
right track.

Arlen Heginbotham
Decorative Arts and Sculpture Conservation
J. Paul Getty Museum

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 20, 2000