Subject: Watercolors

Watercolors

From: Robert Wynne-Jones <conservators>
Date: Friday, December 15, 2000
I am currently studying at Camberwell College of Arts for a Masters
Degree in Conservation of Art. I am currently interested in World
War Two Watercolour Artists employed by the Ministry of Defense in
Great Britain at the time. The main areas of research that I am
concerned with are the materials they used; for example, the type
and quality of the paper and pigments they used.

I am primarily interested in poor quality papers they might have
used and the reaction of the paper, through time, to the chemical
structure of the pigments and the possible accelerated breakdown of
the composition of certain synthetic organic pigments. Research at
the moment is in the first initially stages but I would like to hear
from anybody with any experience of treatments and/or effects they
have carried out or observed to watercolours of this period.

The prime pigments of interest are the synthetic organics from
around 1930 to 1950. Any information on composition or changes of
composition due to the World War Two would be greatly appreciated.
Has anyone carried out research like this before into the subject?

Robert Wynne-Jones
Post-graduate Student
MA Conservation
Camberwell College of Arts