Subject: Lead

Lead

From: Alan J. Hawk <hawk>
Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2000
I have a model of a ship made in 1875 for the Centennial Exposition.
Some of the parts (such as the steering wheel and pullies) were cast
from lead. However, the lead has developed a heavy white powdery
coating (which I assume is oxidation) that is falling to the floor
of the case.  What is the best treatment to stabilize the lead?  I
was considering gently brushing off the powder and then painting the
lead with Arcoloid B-72 liquid.  Would that be a good approach? What
are your suggestions?

Alan Hawk
Historical Collections Manager
National Museum of Health and Medicine