Subject: Egyptian Book of the Dead

Egyptian Book of the Dead

From: Barbara Wagner <barbog>
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2000
Our laboratory was asked to do analysis of pigments from ancient
Egyptian papyrus that is supposed to be over 3000 years old. This is
a 9 metres long Book of the Dead, but only a part of this document,
which had been separated from the whole body in the late 19th
century, was given for conservation. Has anyone any experience with
such documents? I would also appreciate any information about
bibliography or publications concerning this subject. We have
started with EDX measurements, but those samples are really
difficult for proper identification.

Barbara Wagner
PhD student
Chemistry Department