Subject: Wood borer infestation

Wood borer infestation

From: Dee Stubbs <a5a24354>
Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2000
Has anyone had recent experience with eradicating a wood borer
infestation in a large painted wooden artifact? Initial
investigation suggests the culprits may be powder post beetles. The
artifact in question is too large, heavy, and fragile to move
safely, so any treatment would have to be done in-situ in a busy
museum gallery setting. It is important that the appearance of the
artifact not be altered, such as by depositing surface residues. An
additional concern is that the artifact originated in a First
Nations community, so ideally I would like to find a method of
treatment that is respectful of  native traditions. Any ideas I
could explore would be appreciated.

Dee Stubbs
Objects conservator
Vancouver, BC