Subject: Aroma

Aroma

From: Jessica Fletcher <jfletcher>
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2000
We are currently faced with what, I am certain, will become a much
more common dilemma.  In an attempt to appeal to several of our
visitors' senses, the museum design staff is eager to add smells and
sounds to an upcoming exhibition of paintings.  I am particularly
concerned about the former, but don't want to say "no" (conservators
always say no) outright without data to back me up.  Likely odors
would be those of seascapes and woodlands.  On a brighter note, the
design team has apparently located a smell company that is willing
to provide a GC-MS breakdown of volatile components.  I have read
the recent article "Spices in the Display Environment" by Ogilvie,
Carter and Evershed, but would greatly appreciate hearing of
additional practical experience in this matter.  With the expansion
of our museum and the hiring of several new enthusiastic designers
this is very likely to be an issue in future exhibits as well.  We
have strict guidelines for flowers, food, exhibit fabrics etc, but
nothing yet for odors.

                Distributed: Thursday, December 7, 2000