Subject: Archaic chemical terms

Archaic chemical terms

From: Arlen Heginbotham <aheginbotham>
Date: Thursday, November 30, 2000
Robert Entwistle <bobbyent [at] supanet__com> writes

>... I still could not find modern equivalents
>for:
>
>    Hydrochlorate of Ammonia

A "Google Search" (<URL:http://www.google.com>) for hydrochlorate
led me to : Websters Revised Unabridged Dictionary 1913.
(<URL:http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.page.sh?PAGE=716>.)
and provided the following definitions:

Hydrochlorate
(Hy`dro*chlo"rate) n. (Chem.) Same as Hydrochloride.

Hydrochloride
(Hy`dro*chlo"ride) n. (Chem.) A compound of hydrochloric acid with a
base; / distinguished from a chloride, where only chlorine unites
with the base.

So, it looks like hydrochlorate of ammonia would be ammonium
chloride.  Handy to know about Webster's 1913!

Arlen Heginbotham
Decorative Arts and Sculpture Conservation
J. Paul Getty Museum

                Distributed: Thursday, December 7, 2000