Subject: Terracotta

Terracotta

From: Carole Dignard <carole_dignard>
Date: Thursday, November 30, 2000
Fernando Gilabert <fergilabert [at] jazzfree__com> writes

>I'm working on China's terracotta painted figures (Han and Tang
>dynasties). I must to consolidate the uncohesive surfaces, yet acrylic
>solution application causes saturation in objects surface: the grey
>terracotta changes on dark grey and the thin and powdered white
>paint layer areas disappear.
>
>I need to find a surface consolidation method without causing colour
>changes. (I have notice of the Ultrasonic Mister designed by Stefan
>Michalski (Canadian Conservation Institute) in early 1990s, but I
>not have later references on practical applications).

I have not heard of the ultrasonic mister used on ceramics yet, but
do try it! Practical applications of ultrasonic misting for
consolidation purposes have been published in the following:

    Sommermeyer, Barbara, 'Consolidation of matte, powdery paint in
    modern art with the ultrasonic mister', Poster session abstract
    of the ICOM-CC Preprints, 1999, Lyon (France), p. 901-902.

    Ahlgren, Charlotte, 'Att anvanda en nebulisator for befuktning
    och konsolidering av fargskikt' ('The use of the nebuliser for
    humidification and paint layer consolidation'), Realia 2:99,
    1999, p. 40-41. (in Swedish)

    Michalski, Dignard, van Handel and Arnold, 'The Ultrasonic
    Mister: Applications in the Consolidation of Powdery Paint on
    Wooden Artifacts' in: Painted Wood: History and Conservation,
    edited by Valerie Dorge and F. Carey Howlett, 1998, The Getty
    Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, p. 498-513.

    Dignard, Douglas, Guild, Maheux and McWilliams, 'Ultrasonic
    Misting: Part 2, Treatment Applications', Journal of AIC 36
    (1997) p. 127-141.

    Hermeren, Karin and Pia Christensson, 'Konserveringen av en
    Japansk sidenmalning', 1997, Realia 2:97, p. 26-29. (in Swedish)

    Arnold, David, 'Recent advances in mist consolidation  of
    powdery surfaces' in: Abstracts of the AIC 24th Annual Meeting,
    Norfolk, Virginia, June 10-16-1996', 1996, Washington DC, AIC.

    Quandt, Abigail B., 'Recent Developments in the Conservation of
    Parchment Manuscripts' in: The Book and Paper Group Annual 15,
    1996, p. 99-115.

    Maheux and McWilliams, 'The use of the ultrasonic mister for the
    consolidation of a flaking gouache painting on paper' in: Book
    and Paper Group Annual 14, 1995, Washington DC, AIC, p. 19-25.

    Weidner, M.K., 'Treatment of water-sensitive and friable media
    using suction and ultrasonic mist' in: Book and Paper Group
    Annual 12, 1993, Washington DC, AIC, p. 75-84.

These are available from the CCI library (cci_library [at] pch__gc__ca).
Please contact me if you would like also information on various
student theses or reports  on the same subject (one in English, one
in German, one in Swedish), or if you would like references to
ultrasonic misting used for stain removal, bleaching or inpainting.

Carole Dignard
Objects Conservator
Canadian Conservation Institute
1030 Innes Road