Subject: Terracotta

Terracotta

From: Fernando Gilabert <fergilabert>
Date: Sunday, November 26, 2000
I'm working on China's terracotta painted figures (Han and Tang
dynasties). I must to consolidate the uncohesive surfaces, yet acrylic
solution application causes saturation in objects surface: the grey
terracotta changes on dark grey and the thin and powdered white
paint layer areas disappear.

I need to find a surface consolidation method without causing colour
changes. (I have notice of the Ultrasonic Mister designed by Stefan
Michalski (Canadian Conservation Institute) in early 1990s, but I
not have later references on practical applications).

Fernando Gilabert
Archaeological Restorer
San Lorenzo de El Escorial
Madrid. Espaqa

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 29, 2000