Subject: Light traps

Light traps

From: Kory Berrett <kory>
Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2000
I was recently asked a question regarding light traps as a pest
control method and promised to pass the question along for group
comment.  The situation is this:  a client of mine with an IPM
program in place was advised by their pest control contractor to
consider the purchase and deployment of light traps in their new
collections storage building.  The part of the building in question
houses farm tools, gross functional objects, and a few horse drawn
vehicles.  The traps use low wattage UV lamps as their lure.  You
can look at one maker's line by visiting <URL:http://www.wmmg.com>,
Whitmire Micro-Gen.  I guess I had dismissed UV attractants out of
hand for the obvious reasons, but here are my questions.  Has anyone
seen these put to use in any museum setting?  Has anyone evaluated
these devices on a risk vs. benefit basis?  Is there a possibility
of deploying these devices, mitigating against the worst light
damage with filters, and still realizing the benefits of the trap?

Kory Berrett
Berrett Conservation Studio
Oxford, PA

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 29, 2000