Subject: Overall consolidation of supports

Overall consolidation of supports

From: Charlotte Seifen <charlotte.seifen>
Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2000
I am researching and compiling information on the overall
consolidation/impregnation of original textile picture supports.  I
am interested in anecdotal and personal experiences to supplement
published information.

I would like to identify which materials/methods are currently used
in the US and abroad, as well as which methods have been used in the
past; the pros and cons of the various methods/materials; and any
information relating to the known or observed aging properties and
aesthetic consequences of the materials used.  I am particularly
interested in more "recently" introduced synthetics such as Beva
371, butyl-methacrylates (such as Lascaux/Plexisol P-550), how these
have aged, and if anyone has information on the use of synthetic
resins, such as Paraloid B-72, Regalrez 1094, Aquazol, etc, for this
purpose. Any information and/or input is greatly appreciated.

Charlotte Seifen
Asst. Paintings Conservator
High Museum Regional Conservation Center
Atlanta, GA

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 29, 2000